Page updated 17 July 2004
ARMS, CRESTS & MONOGRAMS
LIBRARIES & MUSEUMS
Quite a small class of crests, but providing an interesting range from military, through medical and private; a pictorial crest for the Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge; a simple blind embossed crest for the library of the House of Commons, and a very handsomely engraved crest for the Guildhall Library, London.
The collection contains other crests in the category which are not illustrated here:
|Albert Memorial Museum, Exeter|
|Bodleian Library, Oxford|
|Cheltenham Public Library|
|Chetham's Hospital & Library|
|House of Commons Library|
|William C Long's Southern Counties Library, Reading|
|Mudies Select Library Ltd|
|Museum & Art Gallery, Plymouth|
|Museum Kelvingrove Park, Glasgow|
|Museum of Practical Geology|
|National Museum of Wales|
|Norwich Castle Museum|
|Officers Library Barbados|
|Radcliffe Library, Oxford|
|Library St. Bartholomews Hospital|
|Salford Royal Museum & Library|
|Science & Art Museum, Dublin|
|Trinity College Library, Cambridge|
|G Wakeling's Royal Library, Brighton|
A crest for the library of the Parliament of Victoria, Australia, is illustrated at Australia Government.
The most unexpected library crest came in the form of an unused sheet of white notepaper blind impressed 'Knowsley Hall Servants Library'. Most of the great houses of the UK, and many smaller houses, boasted libraries, but how many had one specifically for the servants? Knowsley Hall, Prescot, Lancashire was the seat of the Earls of Derby.
Treachers of Brighton were involved, as retailers, in the crest trade. Illustrated on the right is their trade label in a William Lincoln third edition album of c1894, and on the left a monogram impressed with their stamp.
Another private library was the Chaucer's Head, which was conducted at 5 Temple Row, Birmingham by William Downing. Downing printed several small works in the 1880s, and issued a regular book circular, the Chaucer's Head, probably in connection with his library, the 275th number of which is dated February 1893. He subsequently issued a catalogue of books for sale, probably a successor to the Chaucer's Head, of which the British Library hold numbers 509 to 594, running from 1912 to 1925.
Return to: HOME PAGE
or to TOPICS PAGE to view further pages.