THE  SEASON 1974/75





Throughout the sixties, Little Island enjoyed the status of a beauty spot. Its scenic walks on the shores of the Lee and through wooded lands are today but a memory overshadowed by what was then but an uncertain conversation.
By 1974 the fears or in many a case aspirations of the people would be realised. The transformation of their Island had begun. While things were now much clearer in Little Island regarding its future an air of uncertainty would exist in the soccer club for a number of years to come.
At the A.G.M. for 1973-74 Martin O'Neill was re-elected Chairman as was Denis O'Callaghan Treasurer. Tim Murphy from Glounthaune took over as Secretary and proved himself a great asset to the Club. Committee members elected were Jimmy O'Sullivan, John Crowley, Tony Dunlea, George O'Connor. But for this meeting very few others took place except for the occasional un-official one on return bus journeys from far away places like Ballydaly, Newmarket and Tallow. These heated debates after matches delayed homecoming to girlfriends so much that certain members of the team would stop the coach to purchase a little gift like a cuddly toy or a box of chocolates to ease the tension when they would arrive.
Jimmy Sullivan (Doc) was appointed Junior Manager and he picked his team from the following panel of players: Gerry Ryng, Kevin Byrne, John Crowley, Ger Lambe, John Daly, Tony Dunlea, John Long, Alan Kinevane, Michael O'Flynn, Willie O'Regan, Ger Horgan, Donal O'Connor, David Ward, Tom Cleary, John O'Sullivan (Sam), Denis O'Regan.
The first game of the season for the juniors was home to Newmarket in the Shield, 3.30 p.m. on Sunday 8th September, 1974.
Alan Kinevane who had a spell with Riverside, was in fine form scoring all five goals in their 5-0 thraunching of the visitors. This form continued in the League with wins over Brideview, Marina, U.C.., Glenview and standard. These results rewarded Little Island with their best League placing to date.
John Crowley took charge of the Under 18 team and his task proved a difficult one. Looking now at this Youths Team with players like Edward Twohig, John Hayes, D. Ward, Edward and Gerard Horgan (secretary and chairman of the present Leeside Club), Ger Delea and Eddie Cleary it is difficult to understand why they did not do better.
Dinner Dances around this period were very well supported with 100 - 150 people always guaranteed. At the end of the 1973 74 season the Club travelled to Garryvoe for a very enjoyable night. The Commodore Hotel and the Airport were two other venues for dinner dances but as of now I am unable to tell you what years they were held. The annual Church Gate Collection, membership and weekly subs from players were enough to keep the Club running for the year. Both Junior and Youths teams travelled to away games by bus, a high percentage of this cost was met by the players themselves.
At the end of the season, the Club left Kilcogan Park in search of another ground as did a few players in search of a new Club.


Little Island Athletic v Carrigaline 27/10/74 in the Saxone cup,


Little Island Athletic youths in Kilcogan park 1974/75