The Earls of desmond built this small church in the 15th Century as a Chapel of Ease. Having such a chapel on his land meant the earl did not need to travel; the Priest would come to him to give mass.
By the middle of the 17th Century, the church was in ruins. Rachell, Countess of Bath, a member of the Bourchier family of Gur, restored it in 1679 and added the belfry. As the church was then used for Protestant services, it became known as the New Church.