Castlebar, the County Town of Mayo, is a place steeped in history.
A guided historical walk can be arranged taking you past such places as...
The Imperial Hotel
This late 18th Century building was renovated in the 19th century and still retains the character of a
Victorian Hotel. Most noted as the building in which the National Land League, under Michael Davitt, was founded
The Old Methodist Church
Now the Christian Fellowship centre, it is one of the oldest buildings in the town. The foundation stone was
blessed by the founder member of the Methodist Church in 1785. It is a pure Neo-Romanesque building with an excellent
cut limestone doorway.
Glenpark Nursing Home
Originally a bridewell and later a bank, it was built in the 1820's. It is alleged that it contained an underground tunnel
running to the courthouse for the safe movement of prisoners.
Built between 1830 - 1835. The imposing classical columns that dominate the facade are cast iron, one of the earliest
examples of this in the West.
Birthplace of Margaret Burke-Sheridan
The birthplace of the world - renowned opera singer was once a post office, as her father held a position as a postmaster.
There is a plaque in her honor on the wall.
The churchyard contains many distinguish headstones. The statue of General George O'Malley is notable for the record
of the battles of the Napolianic Wars. The grounds have one of the few genuine truely indigenous Irish Yew Trees.
The 1798 Monument / George Moore's Grave
The monument was erected in 1948 on the 150th anniversary of the 1798 rising. The grave holds the remains of George Moore
First President of Connaught.