Tradition tells of a school at Kilbride graveyard in the house later occupied by
James Gillic. The master's Name was Finnegan and the pupils sat on stone
benches around the walls and brought straw mats.
Opened in 1851. It was replaced by a new school built by Fr. Gerrard in
1916. Dungimmon school was closed on 1 July 1966 and its 26 pupils were
transported by bus to Garrysallagh school.
Erected in 1855, a replacement school, build in 1896 was opened 3 January 1897.
Closed 30 November 1981.
Ballinacree was opened in August 1864. It was replaced by a new building
in 1893 (photo). Ballinacree new school was built in 1960
(photo), it was officially
opened and blessed by Rev. Michael Troy in September 1961. The architect
was Mr. Boyd-Barrett of the Board of Works and it was built by Messrs. Doherty &
Son of Ballyjamesduff.
Ross was erected in 1884.
The new school was opened and blessed on 1 December 1981 by Rev. John Molloy.
It was designed by Mr m Daly of the Board of Works and was built by Messrs.
Doherty & Son of Ballyjamesduff.
In 1940 there was a total of 220 pupils in the parish, this was
reduced to 175 in 1966, but by 1988 had increased to 202.