1. Symposia / Historical Safaris

2. Heritage Campuses

3. Research

4. Surveys

5. Natural history

6. Human History

7. Folklore

8. Abbey wall-paintings

9. Contact us

10. Where is Clare Island ?

11. Links

HISTORY of the Clare Island Lighthouse

The Clare Island Lighthouse in 1905  
 
Courtesy of the Commissioners of Irish Lights

In 1806...
The lighthouse
was first established on the island in 1806, built by the Marquis of Sligo. It was taken over by the Dublin Ballast Board in 1810 and was the subject of a report by their Engineer, George Halpin Snr., in 1811.
He found it to have "a tower, with two apartments and a small house attached."
The lighthouse functioned satisfactorily for the next two years, until a fire, on 29th September 1813, destroyed the lantern and part of the tower.
    This fire was caused by the practice of throwing the snuffing of the used oil-lamp wicks into a tub, for disposal later. Some wicks, still smoldering, fell out of the tub and ignited the lantern. A temporary light was set up until a new tower and Keeper's dwelling were built; the new light being exhibited for the first time toward the end of 1818.
    The lighthouse on Clare Island had a long, and relatively trouble-free, century and a half service. There were occasional incidents, like the tower being struck by lightning in 1834.

"Bright Light, White Water"by Bill Long, Published by New Island Books.

The Clare Island Lighthouse in1995

Nowadays...
      The   Clare Island Lighthouse was decommissioned in 1965, after 159 years of unbroken service. Now, lovingly restored and renovated, this old lighthouse has regained it's place in the hearts of Clare Island, we provide the highest standard in modern comfort to our hosts whilst preserving the nostalgic and unique atmosphere of the old lighthouse out.
Here, while the Atlantic surf pounds the cliffs, you can travel back in time and let your imagination wander in peace !

 

Back

Home & E-mail.gif (1013 bytes)