Mount Sion, Waterford
Edmund Rice's School
Edmund Rice opened his first school at Mount Sion in 1802. To this modest foundation two congregations, the Christian Brothers and the Presentation Brothers, owe their origin.Some original buildings are still intact. The citizens of Waterford built the memorial chapel and classroom in 1845 as their spontaneous gesture of thanks to Edmund who died the previous year. The bakehouse and Tailors shop where the poor were fed and clothed still stand.
A multi-image audiovisual presentation tells the life story of Brother Rice.
The casket containing the remains of Blessed Edmund Rice may be seen in the Chapel dedicated to the Blessed Sacrament.
Mount Sion is open throughout the year. Large groups should contact the Curator in advance.
TELEPHONE: 051-874390 FAX: 051-84157