Many thanks to distant cousin Pierre Balliet of Nancy, France for
a large amount of information on the Zurbrück ancestors in Alsace-Lorraine!
SIGN my guestbook!
Research note: if
look on the 1850, 1860 & 1870 Cheektowaga census,
the ZURBRICKs are mostly recorded with the spelling "SHUBRICK" or "SHURBICK" !!
(The name was pronounced like "Tsoor-brick", which may have caused confusion.)
The name has also been misspelled as "ZERBRECK" and even "BURBIRCK" !!
Try all spelling variations !
Lancaster cemetery is located on the south side of Cemetery Rd.,
Broadway (Rt. 20) and Erie Streets.
The names are grouped to show family relationships, as they were on one stone or side-by-side.
The " + " means one gravestone (with one or more names); also means that a photo exists of the stone (scans available).
The " * " means the info came from Cheektowaga vital records or other sources, like burial records.
Typist's comments & additions in [ ].
PHILLIP ZURBRICK PLOT & DESCENDANTS IN THIS CEMETERY:
+ ZURBRICK Ph. [Philip]
Aug. 20, 1815 died May 15, 1888. [Photo
[Additional info from Cheektowaga death records: Philip was age 72y-8m-25d at
death; occupation was miller & farmer; birthplace Germany; resided here 58 yrs.;
father was Nicholas ZURBRICK of Germany; mother was "Margaret" ZURBRICK of
Germany, but should be Maria Elisabeth; death was from typhoid fever, lasting 8 days.]
ZURBRICK Fanny [Veronica GEKELER] his wife 1826 - 1905.
[Died or buried on 8-19-1905, age 78; b. 20 Sep 1826.]
ZURBRICK Emily H. 1901-1989. [died/was buried on 4-2-1989, aged 88; grandchild of Philip & Fanny ZURBRICK;
dau of Albert & Matilda SOMMER ZURBRICK. Emily Harriet b. 1 Feb 1901.]
ZURBRICK Daniel son of Philip & Fanny ZURBRICK died Sep. 4, 1864 ae 1yr 2mo 5da.
ZURBRICK Albert 1859-1934. Burial records say he died/was buried on 11-7-1934, aged 75; b.17 Aug 1859.
ZURBRICK His wife Matilda Agnes [SOMMER] 1865-1953 [died/was buried on 4-10-1953, aged 88.]
ZURBRICK Daughter Helen V. 1893-1894. [Note: Helen Veronica d. 10-16-1894, age 1 & was b. 5-27-1893.]
* [1. Cheektowaga marriage records show marriage of Albert ZURBRICK on
May 18,1892 to Mathilda A. SOMMER, age 28, daughter of Louis W. SOMMER
& Elizabeth M. BRANLIN/BRAULIN. Albert, a miller, age 33, was son of Philip
ZURBRICK & Fannie GEKELER.
2. Cheektowaga birth records show an unnamed female baby being born on
May 27, 1893 to Albert ZURBRICK - a miller, age 36, b. Cheektowaga & his wife
"Tillie" SOMMER - age 32, b. US. It was their first child, probably Helen Veronica (from family info).
3. Cheektowaga birth records show Ansley Albert ZURBRICK born Jan. 17, 1898 to
Matilda ("SUMMERS") Zurbrick, 32, b. Cheektowaga, and to Albert ZURBRICK,
flour miller, 39, b. Cheektowaga. They had 3 children previous to Ansley, with
2 still living in 1898.]
died/was buried on 9-6-1927, age 78; [b. 15 Mar 1849]
- daughter of Philip ZURBRICK & Fanny GEKELER; was aka Dora.
+ ZURBRICK Ansley A.
[burial records say he died/was buried on 1-14-1974, aged 75.]
- born 1-17-1898, son of Albert & Matilda (SOMMER) ZURBRICK.
Buried (with matching stones) next to...
+ ZURBRICK Irene L. 1900-1993. [burial records say she died/was buried on 2-3-1993, aged 92.]
- born 13 Oct 1900, maiden name Irene LARKIN - wife of Ansley.
died/was buried 12-2-1965, age 71; [b. 31 Oct 1894]
- daughter of Albert & Matilda (SOMMER) ZURBRICK.
* ZURBRICK Irwin
died/was buried on 5-18-1975, age 92; (b. Dec 1882)
- grandson of Philip & Fanny ZURBRICK,
and son of Phillip ZURBRICK II & Anna WAGNER.
died/was buried on 6-4-1952, age 90; [b. July
as Anna WAGNER]
- wife of Philip Zurbrick II who was son of Philip and Fanny ZURBRICK.
* ZURBRICK Philip (II) died/was buried on 8-14-1937, age 84, from burial records; [b. Dec 1852]
- son of Philip ZURBRICK and Fanny GEKELER, above, but other
sources say their son Philip II was b. 25 Dec 1852/53 and d. 4 July 1952, aged 99.
Additional Genealogy -- Philip ZURBRICK Sr. first married Catherine GEKELER & had Dorothy ZURBRICK; then Catherine died at age 21 & he married the sister of Catherine, Veronica (Fanny) GEKELER and had children: Anna Maria (MARQUART), Phillip II, Catherine (KNOCHE), Franklin, Caroline (HUMMEL), Albert & Daniel. See Surnames Page.
PETER ZURBRICK PLOT & DESCENDANTS IN THIS CEMETERY:
* ZURBRICK George died in 185_, age ?
born July 10, 1820 died Sept. 22, 1907. [Gravestone
of Peter & Christina]
[Peter was son of Nickolaus Zurbrick b. 1780 & Maria Elisabetha Gerber b. 1785.]
ZURBRICK Christina his wife born Mar. 2, 1832 died May 22, 1874. (from gravestone) [She was first cousin of
her husband Peter; we know that Christina Zurbrick, dau of Georg Zurbrück & Elizabeth
Burkhalter, was b. 2 Mar 1832 in Hangviller, Lorraine, France.]
ZURBRICK Henry N. born Dec. 11, 1854 died Aug. 8, 1875, age 20.
ZURBRICK Edwin 1866-1933 [b. Mar. 1866, died/ buried 8-21-1933, aged 67; he was an undertaker. He
never married & lived with his sister Elizabeth for a long time. In 1910 his sister Anna
& her husband John Gram were living with them. They must have been the ones to form
the Zurbrick, Knauber & Gram undertakers on Main St. in Lancaster, NY. See photo.]
ZURBRICK Elizabeth 1863-1934. ["Lizzie" b. May 1863, died 1-14-1934, aged 70] - lived with brother Edwin.
ZURBRICK Geo. P. born July 2, 1853, died Feb. 25, 1924 - married twice (wives below).
ZURBRICK Caroline (or Carolyn or Carrie) [MARQUART] his wife born Apr. 9, 1854, died Sept. 24, 1888/89.
- mother of Alice, Myron and Lottie ZURBRICK with Geo. P.
ZURBRICK Ellen L. [GREEN]* his wife born Nov. 5, 1853 died Aug. 18, 1908.
- mother of Raymond/Roy G., Elmer P. and Howard W. with Geo. P. ZURBRICK.
* [1. Cheektowaga marriage records show marriage of George P. ZURBRICK on
Jan. 29,1890 to Ellen L. GREEN, age 37, b. Royalton, VT, daughter of
Warner D. GREEN & Margaret CLAPP. Geo. P. ZURBRICK was a dealer in
cattle, age 37, b. Cheektowaga, son of Peter ZURBRICK & Christina ZURBRICK.
This marriage occurred after Ellen gave birth to an unnamed son ZURBRICK on
Jan. 4, 1890. Father was listed as George ZURBRICK & the birth was
officially registered on Feb. 14, 1890.
A month later, on Feb. 26, 1890, George's sister Maria ZURBRICK, age 22,
b. Cheektowaga, married Karl MARQUART, 28, farmer, b. Lancaster, NY, son of
Ludwig MARQUART and Dorethea FAETTI.
A year later, on Feb. 11, 1891, Herbert Haywood GREEN, farmer, age 28, brother of
Ellen GREEN, was married to Catharine M. REUTHER, age 21, b. Cheektowaga,
daughter of Louis P. REUTHER & Louisa A. MAN.
2. Cheektowaga birth records show unnamed "ZUBRICK" male b. Jan. 4, 1890 to
"Ellen" GREEN, 37, b. PA (?) and Geo. "ZUBRICK", farmer, 37, b. NY.
3. Cheektowaga birth records show Howard Warner ZURBRICK born Aug. 21, 1892 to
"Ellen" GREEN, 38, b. Royalton,VT - and George ZURBRICK, 39, farmer,
4. Cheektowaga birth records show an Elmer P. ZURBRICK was born Sep. 29, 1893
to "Nellie" GREEN & George ZURBRICK, both age 40. Nellie/Ellen was born in
Royalton, VT in 1853; George was born in Cheektowaga. Before Elmer, this couple
had 3 children and all were living in 1893.]
* ZURBRICK Elmer Peter
buried on 11-17-1970, age 77; b. Sep 29, 1893.
- son of George P. & Ellen (GREEN) ZURBRICK.
* ZURBRICK Edith died 5-15-1986, age 70(?); wife of Elmer P., above.
[other records give her birthdate as Oct 4, 1905 & her age at death as 80.]
- Formerly Edith KJELDGAARD, dau of Andrew & Louise.
* ZURBRICK George J. died 1-7-1996, age 64; [another source gives his name as "George R." and his death date
as 1-7-1997, age 64, and birthdate as Dec. 1832]
- son of Elmer P. & Edith (KJELDGAARD) ZURBRICK.
+ ZURBRICK Howard W. 1892 - 1961 (with
[Howard Warner ZURBRICK, b. Aug. 21, 1892 to George ZURBRICK
& Nellie/Ellen GREEN...see above. Burial records say he died/was buried on
3-11-1961, age 68]
ZURBRICK Leela G. 1895-1979 [Burial records say she died/was buried on 4-23-1979.]
(Eastern Star symbol).
- Leeila RUPRECHT, b. Feb. 1, 1895.
* ZURBRICK Roy [Ray] George
buried on 4-23-1947, 56; [b. 4 Jan 1890]
- some sources call him Raymond George.
- was son of George P. & Ellen (GREEN) ZURBRICK.
* ZURBRICK Ida M. died/was buried on 11-5-1979, 87; (b. 7 Apr 1892)
- was born Ida EISS, wife of Raymond G. (aka Roy) ZURBRICK.
+ ZURBRICK Myron H.
1883 - 1935 [burial records say he died/was buried on 7-8-1935,
52; b. Jan 1883.]
(Masons symbol). Son of George P. & Caroline (MARQUART) ZURBRICK. Next to...
+ ZURBRICK Lena M. 1888 - 1966. [born Lena STOETZEL, dau of Henry & Kate STETZEL]
- census of 1900 says she was born Mar 1889; wife of Myron ZURBRICK.
Additional Genealogy: Peter ZURBRICK & Christina
had children -- George P., Henry N. (d. age 20),
Levi (m. in Nebraska to Caroline M. ), Anna L. (Mrs. John GRAM), Edwin (never married), Mary/Maria (Mrs. Karl MARQUART), William (married in Nebraska to Bertha), & Elizabeth (never married). In 1880, George P. & his 1st wife Caroline (MARQUART) were living in the house of [Johan] Nickolas ZURBRICK (b.1808) who lived next door to Peter ZURBRICK - Johan Nickolas was brother of Peter. See Surnames Page.
VARIOUS NICK ZURBRICKS BURIED IN
CEMETERY (in birth order):
[some church records courtesy of Karen Thompson]
+ ZURBRICK Nickolaus
March 1, 1844, aged 63yr, 4mo, 26days, in Cheektowaga - from
Gravestone says he was born in "Pfalzweier", Canton Lützelstein, Frankreich (France).
[believe he was b. 5 Sep 1780, from French parish records; gravestone age
at death is slightly wrong (1 month too young)] [See Photo of Plot] [See Nick's stone]
Buried in Row 24 of the Old Graves Section with his brother George & their wives.
[Nickolaus & George are sons of Michael ZURBRÜCK, linen weaver.]
ZURBRICK Maria Elisabeth (GERBER) b. 25 Aug 1785 in "Hangenweiler" [Hangviller] [See gravestone]
wife of Nicolaus ZURBRICK, d. 28 July 1868 [other source says d. 18 July 1867.]
ZURBRICK George Sr. [brother of Nickolaus], b. 12 Apr 1787 in Pfalzweyer, France, d. 21 Sept. 1850.
+ ZURBRICK Elizabeth died Mar. 18, 1880 at the age of 86, of heart problems, in Cheektowaga (burial record).
[This matches Eva Elizabeth BURKHALTER, wife of George ZURBRICK Sr..
She was born in Hangviller, Lorraine, France on 19 Jun 1793; m. 1 July 1813 in Hangviller.]
Gravestone says she was born 21 July 1793 (baptismal date) & died 18 Mar 1880.
[See gravestone of Eva Elizabeth Burkhalter Zurbrick.]
+ ZURBRICK J.(Johan)
Mar. 7, 1808, d. Dec. 27, 1893 - son of Nickolaus b. 1780.
[burial record shows "Nicholas" buried Dec. 30, 1893, age 85]
[Church record, St. Peter's Evangelical & Reformed Church, Erie co.:
"Johan Nickolas Zurbruck I b.7 Mar 1808 in Pfalzweiler, Dept. NiederRhein, Frankreich,
m. Susanna Dorothea KIENTZ b.25 Aug 1818 & m. 30 May 1841."]
ZURBRICK S. (Susanna) Dorothea his wife born Aug. 25, 1818, died Oct. 30, 1893.
[burial record shows "Susan" buried Nov. 1, 1893, aged 75.
Census records show "Nicholas" with wife "Susan D." - the ages match this gravestone.
J. Nickolus is the son of Nickolaus, b. 1780 (above), & brother of
Michael, b. 1810. This couple was found on the census living next door to
Michael's widow (Saloma /Sallie Zurbrick) for years.]
* ZURBRICK Nickolas
May 15, 1890, aged 71y-4m-17d. [b. Dec. 1819]
- same as above Nickolas.
[Cheektowaga death records show he was a farmer, born in Germany, resided in
Cheektowaga for 45 yrs. (at least since 1844), son of Michael ZURBRICK & wife
Margret ZURBRICK, both of Germany. Nickolas died of chronic bronchitis & heart
trouble lasting 4 years. Born in Dec. 1819, he was most likely grandson of
Michael ZURBRUCK Sr., linen weaver, & Barbara HÜGEL of Pfalzweyer, France.
This Nickolas was a nephew of the original immigrant Nickolaus b. 1780, & the family
lore is that Nickolaus b. 1780 came over with at least one nephew.]
* ZURBRICK Katherine died/was buried on 3-3-1906, age 83; [b. abt 1823] = nee Katharine GOTTLIEB,
from church records. (the idea that she was Catharine LANG has now been discounted.)
(from Karen Thompson & Larry Zurbrick)
Nickolas and Catharine had a daughter Sarah ZURBRICK, b. abt. 1865 (from census).
More on this family:
* ZURBRICK Nicholas - info from 1870 Cheektowaga Census. [he was b. about 1820, per census]
As written in the census:
"SHUBRICK", Nicholas, age 50, Farming, b. France (parents foreign-born)
(1 US citizen in household over 21 yrs. - must be Nicholas was naturalized)
________ , Hata /Kata (?) - (Kate), age 47, b. France [was Katherine GOTTLIEB.]
________ , Christian (male), age 18, farm work, b. NY [b. abt 1852]
________ , John, age 15, at school, b. NY [b. abt 1855]
________ , Louisa, age 13, at school, b. NY [b. abt 1856 or 1857]
________ , Samuel, age 11, at school, b. NY [b. abt 1859]
________ , Emma, age 9, at school, b. NY [b. abt 1861]
________ , Sarah, age 6, at home, b. NY [b. abt 1864]
* ZURBRICK Daughter died/was buried on 9-1-1870, age 14; [b. abt 1856] = Louisa, dau of Nicholas.
+ ZURBRICK Sarah died July 28, 1938. [burial records say she was age 73; (b. abt 1865)] Buried next to...
+ ZURBRICK Alice E. 1883-196_. [burial records say she died/was buried 4-3-1962, age 78.]
John on this census above is a match for this burial record:
+ ZURBRICK John G. 1855-1912. [cem. records say he died/was buried 8-8-1913, aged 57] = son of Nicholas.
ZURBRICK Elizabeth W. his wife 1855-1930. [nee WEYERHAUSER /WEIERSHEISER,
died/was buried 2-18-1930, aged 74.] John & Elizabeth had 8 children.
[Additional genealogy notes for John G.: children of John G. & Elizabeth were Frank Nelson (b.4-26-1881), Alice Edna (b.May 1883), Lillian Harriet (b.8-7-1884), Arthur John (b.10-1-1887), Herbert Henry (b.2-13-1890), Lucy Elizabeth (7-5-1892), Earl Alan (b.11-7-1895 or 1898), & Olive Elsie (b.3-4-1902) - from Larry Zurbrick.]
* ZURBRICK Earl A. died/was buried on 11-4-1977, age 81; [b. abt 1896] - from burial record.
= Earl Allen, son of John G. ZURBRICK. Earl b. 17 Nov 1895, d. 4 Nov 1978.
[had a son Herbert H. ZURBRICK, d. 2-2-2000, named after Earl's brother.]
* ZURBRICK Ethel E. died/was buried in Lancaster cem. on 11-9-1978, age 80; [b. abt 1898]
= wife of Earl A. ZURBRICK; she was formerly Ethel WATCHHORN.
+ ZURBRICK Herbert H. b. Feb. 13, 1898 [1890?], d. Sep. 22, 1982; buried in Block J, Lot 72, Grave 3
- son of John G.; resided at West Seneca, NY.
* ZURBRICK Frances C. [SCHULTZ] d. Jan. 23, 1985, aged 88; dau of Martin SCHULTZ, 1876-1966,
& Clara PHILLIPS. Frances & Herbert had a son Charles H. ZURBRICK
(adopted) who died before 1985, according to an obit.
* ZURBRICK Charles burial records say he died/was buried on 5-20-1966, aged 37, so born abt 1929.
- this is Charles H., the adopted son of Herbert H. & Frances C. ZURBRICK.
* ZURBRICK Nicholas ?
buried on 9-12-1893, aged 69; [b. abt 1824]
from burial records.
[Note: I have no Nicholas /Nickolaus that matches these dates. BUT I do have Catharine
Zurbrick b. 1824 who died on 10 Sep 1893 (per church records). Catharine (nee Zurbrick)
was the widow of Nickolas Zurbrick, 1819-1886. (see above) So I think this record is wrong
and should read "Catharine ZURBRICK, widow of Nicholas ZURBRICK, buried on
12 Sep 1893, age 69". That would fit perfectly with church records, etc.]
* ZURBRICK Nicholas
buried on 12-30-1914, aged 71; [b. abt 1843 in NY; his
b. in Alsace.]
- grandson of George Zurbrück & Elizabeth Burkhalter; AKA Leander Zurbrick.
- his wife was Lucy (b. abt 1855); his dau was Edith (b. 1878 or 1879) - from 1880 census.
- in 1880 was living with 3 generations of KEIFERS: John (80), Nicholas (42) & George (13).
- wife Lucy is possible match of Lucy Jane burial record, below, buried with Orrin & Walter.
- Leander ZURBRICK, b. Aug. 1843, with dau Edith, b. July 1878 (1900 census), is probably
the same person as Nicholas; Leander was widowed before 1900 &
Lucy Jane died in 1894, so it all fits. Nicholas /Leander was son of George & Mary.
- newborn Orrin, likely son of Nicholas, was not on 1880 census in Nicholas /Leander's house.
+ ZURBRICK Orrin
born Jan. 25, 1880; died July 3, 1892; buried 7-5-1892, age 11.
On same stone as...
ZURBRICK Walter L. born Feb. 15, 1883 died Mar. 22, 1883.
The above stone was paired with a matching stone with:
+ ZURBRICK Lucy Jane born Dec. 8, 1855 died Mar. 14, 1894, aged 39. [buried 3-16-1894]
[possibly the wife of Nicholas /Leander b. 1843, above.]
* ZURBRICK Edith died/was buried on 10-10-1926, age 46 [b. about 1880]
[- Edith was possibly daughter of Nicholas & Lucy, above,
or dau of Leander Zurbrick (b. Aug.1843) who also had a dau Edith about this age.
But Nicholas & Leander are probably the same - ie. Nicholas Leander.]
JOHN ZURBRICK PLOT:
+ ZURBRICK John 1840-1909.
Cem. records say he died Mar. 6, 1909, but family records say he died
- John was son of Michael ZURBRICK Sr. & Saloma DIEFFENBACH, below.
ZURBRICK Melissa [STEVENS] his wife 1851-1902.
To the right of this stone is...
+ KEENAN Florence [ZURBRICK], wife of Thomas KEENAN, 1888-1918. Cem. records say she died
in Cleveland, Ohio on Dec. 4, 1918 at age 30. To the right of this stone...
+ ZURBRICK Estella M. died Nov. 13, 1921. Cem. records say she died of tetanus in
Buffalo, NY on Nov. 14, 1921, age 44. To the right of this stone is....
+ WALTERS Howard W., DDS 1902-1953 (Masons symbol). [Probably the son of
Frances (Fannie) ZURBRICK WALTERS, a daughter of John.]
To the right of this stone is...
+ STEVENS Fannie 1853-1916.
[Note: Florence & Estella are daughters of John & Melissa. Fannie STEVENS
is likely related to Melissa ZURBRICK above, whose maiden name was STEVENS.]
+ ZURBRICK Mich'l [Michael] Co. G 21st NY Inf. [b. 1841, d. May 16, 1883]
A metal star with "GAR" - Grand Army of the Republic - was next to the stone.
Cem. records say he died of dropsy in Buffalo, NY at age 41.
[He was brother of John ZURBRICK & had no known children; son of Michael Sr.]
* ZURBRICK Michael (Sr.)
June 9, 1848 in Cheektowaga, NY. [from burial records.] - aged 38
[Family records give cause of death as an accident with a horse and wagon & birthdate = 1810.]
Buried in Line 25 of the Old Section with 2 unidentifiable ZURBRICKS, and his wife:
* ZURBRICK Saloma ("Sally") died Nov. 6, 1897 age 90, of heart problems, in Depew, NY
[from burial records, since stone was not easily found.]
Additional Genealogy: John ZURBRICK & Melissa
had children - John Louis b.1873; Melissa Estella b. 1875; Ida Belle b.
1877 (Mrs. Alec PATTENDEN), Frances Andella (Fanny) b. 1881 (Mrs.
Lucy Anna b. 1883; Harriet b. 1886 (Mrs. SCHLEGEL); and Florence b.
(Mrs. Thomas KEENAN). See Surnames
HENRY ZURBRICK DESCENDANTS IN THIS CEMETERY:
and Mother ZURBRICK"
+ ZURBRICK Henry Co. C [should be G], 6th Reg. Ohio Vol. Inf.
born Mar. 30, 1837 died Aug. 3, 1903, age 65. [Photo of gravestone]
- Henry was son of Michael Sr. & Saloma (DIFFENBACH) ZURBRICK.
ZURBRICK Mary "In memory of Mary R./A. wife of Henry ZURBRICK born Jan. 12, 1844
died Dec. 20, 1887." [Mary = Mary STEVENS KELLY ZURBRICK]
- Mary was sister of Melissa STEVENS who married Henry's brother John ZURBRICK, above.
+ ZURBRICK "Father" William S. 1870-1931.
buried on 10-29-1931, aged 61.] (Masons symbol.)
- son of Henry & Mary; b. 8 Oct 1870, Elizabethtown, Hamilton co., Ohio
"Mother" Margaret E. 1875-1954. [Margaret BIERMA, wife of Wm, b. in Buffalo, NY.]
- burial records say she died/was buried 2-20-1954, aged 75.
+ ZURBRICK Henry W.
1894-1929. Burial records say he died/was buried on 6-15-1929,
- doesn't appear to be husband of Margaret "MARKEY" below, but her brother.
- son of William S. ZURBRICK and Margaret BIERMA; married Julie CORCORAN.
- had children William Henry and Margaret Rita ZURBRICK.
Henry's stone next to...
+ MARKEY Margaret [ZURBRICK] "Mother" 1895-1977. Stone clearly shows her name as "MARKEY", but
other records say she was wife of Edwin MACKEY & sister of Henry W. ZURBRICK.
- daughter of Wm. S. & Margaret (BIERMA) ZURBRICK;
- grandaughter of Henry ZURBRICK & Mary STEVENS.
* ZURBRICK Jessie died/was
buried on 5-8-1938, aged 66; born abt 1872.
- 2nd wife of Mahlon ZURBRICK who was son of Henry ZURBRICK.
* ZURBRICK Gordon A. (Sr.)
died/was buried on 5-11-1966, aged 66; (born in 1900)
- son of Mahlon & Jessie ZURBRICK; grandson of Henry ZURBRICK.
* ZURBRICK Edna Maria died/was buried on 3-7-1983, aged 78; (born abt 1905)
- wife of Gordon Allen ZURBRICK = Edna Marie (NEAR) HUNTLEY.
* ZURBRICK Gordon A. died/was buried on 12-5-1925, age 1yr; (b. 1924)
- son of Gordon Allen ZURBRICK Sr.
* ZURBRICK James D. died/was buried on 8-22-1992, age ?
- son of Gordon Allen ZURBRICK Sr. & Edna Marie.
* ZURBRICK Robert A. died/was buried on 8-10-1947, age 16; (b. abt 1931)
- son of Gordon Z. Sr. & Edna Marie.
Louis N. 186_ -- 19__.
Mary A. C. ELY 1871--193_. (difficult to read numbers.)
[Note: Louis Kelly was son of Mary STEVENS, who was previously married to
George KELLY, father of Louis. Henry ZURBRICK b.1837, above, was step-father of Louis.
Mary ELY was reportedly related to Elder Wm. BREWSTER of the Mayflower.]
Additional Genealogy: Henry ZURBRICK b.1837 & Mary
STEVENS had children - Emma b. 1866 (Mrs. Jacob LININGER); Mahlon b.
William S. b. 1870; Lillian b. 1874 (Mrs. Edmond BULLET); and Warren b.
1883. See Surnames
GEORGE ZURBRICK Jr. - FRED WALTER PLOT:
Has a tall stone with the two surnames, and the
matching stones in a
row on either side. From left to right:
+ WALTER Olivene 1883-1924.
+ WALTER Lucy A. 1857-1936. [maiden name ZURBRICK; wife of Frederick WALTER.]
- Lucy was daughter of Mary & George ZURBRICK buried in this plot.
- Lucy & Fred had a daughter Olie J. (Olivene) b. Jul 1885, according to census.
+ WALTER Fred 1855-1938.
(Center tall stone positioned here)
+ ZURBRICK Mary 1818-1906. [b. Aug. 1817 per census; living with Fred & Lucy in 1900, age 82]
[possibly "Maria Zurbrick, died/buried 1-1-1906, aged 83" in burial records, possibly
with slightly wrong age? Mary was b. in Pennsylvania.]
+ ZURBRICK George 1814-1875. [died/was buried 5-10-1875, age 60, from burial record].
[George is son of George ZURBRICK Sr. & Elizabeth BURKHALTER]
Additional Genealogy: In addition to their daughter
Ann Zurbrick Walter, above, George & Mary are
the parents of: George, b. 1839, John, b. 1841, Nicholas, b. c1843/44, Jacob Zurbrick, b. 1845 (see below)
(from 1855, 1860 & 1870 Lancaster census).
George III, b. 1839, must be a match for this Lancaster cem. burial record:
+ ZURBRICK Geo. born June 5, 1839 died May 15, 1886, age 46. [Photo of gravestone]
ZURBRICK Louisa born Dec. 29, 1839 died Mar. 6, 1887. They lived in Alden, Erie co., NY.
ZURBRICK Albert G. (son of George & Louisa ZURBRICK) born July 7, 1853 died Apr. 20, 1864.
[Note: LDS record says George ZURBRICK, b. Jun. 5, 1839, married
"Louise" KELLER in Pennsylvania - film 962005, p. 542, ref. 11378]
[George and Louise /Louisa had another son Wm. Warren, b. 14 Feb 1866.]
John's age matches the details of the following Lancaster cem. burial record:
* ZURBRICK John died/was buried on 8-31-1915, age 73; [b. Oct 1841] his wife was...
* ZURBRICK Olive Maria died/was buried on 3-24-1931, age 83 ["Olie" b. Aug 1847]
- they lived on E. Main St., Lancaster, NY & had one child only,
Mattie [Martha] b. 1875 (from census).
- born Olive M. PECKHAM, dau of Thomas PECKHAM (b. 1802, Vermont)
- Thomas lived with them in 1880.
JACOB ZURBRICK DESCENDANTS IN THIS CEMETERY:
1845-1924. [cem. records say he died/was buried 1-18-1924, aged
[Photo of gravestone] [son of George & Mary above, which we know
from the 1860 census.]
ZURBRICK Catharine his wife 1850-1925. [cem. records say she died/was buried 10-23-1925, aged 76.]
= Kate LATCHER /LATSCHAR [dau of Frank /Franz LATSCHAR (b. 1808, Bavaria)
& Catherine ___ (b. Oct 1822, Alsace) - from census info.]
Other side of Jacob Zurbrick stone reads: Franz LATSCHAR 1808 - 1880
and his wife Katharine 1822 - 1906.
+ ZURBRICK Herbert W.
[burial records say he died/was buried on 5-31-1948, aged 58.]
- son of Jacob & Catherine ZURBRICK (from 1900 census).
Anna C. 1884-1957. [burial records say she died/was buried on 7-10-1957, aged 73.]
+ ZURBRICK Edward L.
1876-1957. died/was buried 5-24-1957, aged 77.
- He was Edward Leander, son of Jacob ZURBRICK & Catherine (Kate LATCHER).
Anna L. 1878-1945. died/was buried 9-11-1945, aged 67, wife of Edward L. ZURBRICK.
- she was born Jun 1878, aka Anna L. MARTIN APPEL (APPEL=adoptive name).
Laura A. 1906-1989. [burial records say died/was buried 3-24-1989, aged 82]
- she was daughter of Edward L. & Anna L. ZURBRICK.
+ ZURBRICK Elmer
New York Pfc Btry C 553 AAA BN - WWII; b. Dec. 19, 1908, d.
May 10, 1967.
- reportedly was married to Geralda MONNIN, with sons Edward & John ZURBRICK.
[Elmer was son of Edward Leander Zurbrick & grandson of Jacob Zurbrick.]
+ ZURBRICK Emily H. 1901-1989. possible wife of Elmer E.- buried next to him with matching stone.
+ ZURBRICK Arthur F.
1901-1960. [burial records say he died/was buried 4-2-1960, aged
- possibly son of Edward Leander ZURBRICK and Anna L. MARTIN APPEL.
Viola M. 1900-1953. [died/was buried 7-29-1953, aged 52; "Viola Roll Zurbrick" in burial records.]
- wife of Arthur F. (he also had a sister Viola).
died/was buried on 4-10-1969, aged 65; (b. abt 1904)
- probably son of Edward Leander ZURBRICK and his wife Anna L. MARTIN.
- probably grandson of Jacob ZURBRICK [Martin was involved in the Jacob Z. Reunion.]
* ZURBRICK Ethel died/was buried on 9-22-1973, age 66; [b. abt 1907]
- family research shows that she was b. 18 Dec. 1906 & had a dau Bev LUBI.
+ ZURBRICK Irene
1980. [burial records say she died/was buried
aged 82; b. abt 1898]
Roy L. 1962. [burial records say "Roy J." died/was buried 2-2-1962, aged 60; b. abt 1901.]
- Edward Leander ZURBRICK had a son Roy about this age, so he's likely the same Roy.
1870 -1946, Section C, lot 46W.
[burial records show a Frank who died/was buried on 9-10-1946, age 75, so b. abt 1870-71]
- Jacob ZURBRICK had a son Frank of this age, so this is likely the same Frank.
- Frank was confirmed as son of Jacob by Elaine Cheney (descendant).
Frank was next to...
+ ZURBRICK Mary 1871 - 1951, wife of Frank, Section C, lot 46W.
[burial records show a Mary who died/was buried 5-6-1951, age 79; so b. abt 1872]
+ ZURBRICK Esther 1904-1911. [cem records say she died/was buried 7-20-1911, age 7]
- confirmed as daughter of Frank & Mary ZURBRICK by Elaine Cheney.
[History note: In 1899, a larger brick school was erected on the corner of
Main & School streets, North Collins, Erie co., NY. An increase in library &
laboratory equipment made it a full-fledged high school, with eight teachers.
Frank Zurbrick was principal of this school 1917-18 & 1918-25.
He was later principal of a school in Lackawanna c.1941. He owned a home
just north of North Collins where he & his family spend their summers.
His Son, Frank Zurbrick, Jr., lived on School Street in North Collins, Erie co.]
Additional Genealogy: Jacob ZURBRICK & Catherine LATCHER (LATSCHAR) had children -- Frank A. b. 1869; Julie b. 1872; Bertha b. 1875 (Mrs. Samuel HELWIG); Edward Leander b. 1876 (he had 11 children); Luella (Mrs. SIMME); Cora O b. 1883; and Herbert W. b. 1889. See Surnames Page.
CHARLES ZURBRICK & FAMILY IN THIS CEMETERY:
- 1880 census shows that Charles was son of Nicholas ZURBRICK (b. Mar. or May 1819) &
Catherine (nee ZURBRICK), listed above; Charles' parents were first cousins.
burial records for this cemetery say he died/was buried on 11-12-1930,
- born abt 1857 (per burial record) ; born Oct. 1857 per 1900 census.
- he fits as the father of Evelyn and Raymond.
* ZURBRICK Mary E. died/was buried in this cemetery on 1-5-1937, aged 76; [born abt 1860, dau of Peter.]
[- she was wife of Charles Z. - aka Mary E. MILTENBERGER or MILDENBERGER.
- she was a neighbor of her husband when they were growing up.
- they had children Olive Henrietta b. 2 Mar 1888
(Mrs. Otto LANDEL - see 1912 Wedding Clipping)
and Evelyn C. (below), then Edgar (b. May 1899) and Raymond b. May 1899.
- Edgar and Raymond refer to the same [erson, since the 1900 census
had only Edgar (b. May 1899) and no Raymond. Same with 1910 census.]
* ZURBRICK Evelyn C. b. June
daughter of Charles ZURBRICK, age 40 (should be age 34), farmer,
b. Cheektowaga & his wife ____ "MILLENDBERGER" ZURBRICK, b. Cheektowaga.
[This couple had one child before Evelyn. See Evelyn's Wedding Clipping, 1915]
[Evelyn married Arthur L. WOELFFEL.]
* ZURBRICK Raymond [AKA Edgar] b. May 13, 1899 , in Cheektowaga, to Chas. ZURBRICK,
farmer, age 41, (also b. Cheektowaga) & his wife Mary E. MILDENBERGER,
age 38, (she was also b. in Cheektowaga). = info from birth record.
MISC. UNCONNECTED ZURBRICKS IN THIS
- from Burial Records:
[Please email Linda if you can connect them to other family members.]
buried on 9-23-1850, age ? [probably George
Zurbrick - see above.]
* ZURBRICK Mrs. died/was buried on 7-29-1860, age ? [probably Maria Elisabeth Zurbrick,
wife of Nickolaus b. 1780, but death date on gravestone was 7-28-1868.
She was buried between her husband & brother-in-law George Zurbrick.]
* ZURBRICK Maria died/was buried on 8-23-1868, age ?;
died/was buried on 4-18-1966, age 81; [b. abt 1885]
- probably was Gertrude OSWALD, b. Apr. 1884,
- dau of Franklin J. OSWALD (b. 1856) & Elizabeth YOUNG (b. 1859)
- of Lancaster, NY; married unknown ZURBRICK c1921; widowed by 1930.
* ZURBRICK William died/was buried on 9-22-1898, age 1; [b. 1897]
died/was buried on 10-30-1862, age ?
* ZURBRICK Child died/was buried on 2-19-1859, age ?
* ZURBRICK Infant died/was buried on 2-1-1855, age ?
* ZURBRICK Alice died/was buried on 2-2-1920, age 1hr.; [b. 2-2-1920]
* ZURBRICK Arthur died/was buried on 5-15-1917, age 7days; [b. abt 5-8-1917]