in the Middle Ages.
Cricket Team c.1890*
The Flour Mills
note this is a Large File)
Parish of Kilmacow
The medieval parish of Kilmacow, which is of
ecclesiastical origin, consisted of the townlands of Ballygriffin,
Ballynearla, Grannagh, (which includes Ballinaroughery, Grannaghknock,
Grannyferry, Tinlough, Dunbrin, and the Pill), Dangan, Flemingstown,
Kilmacow, Narrabane North and South (Ballynacrumma) and Newtown.
Modern Parish of Kilmacow.
The changing circumstances of the early 19th.
century, together with the rapid increase in population and the
availability of more clergy, were the motivating factors in the creation
of the present catholic eccesiastical parishes. In 1842 The Bishop of
Ossary, Most Rev. Dr. Kinsella, took from kilmacow the townlands of
Ballinamona and Killaspy and added them to the parish od Slieverue. At the
same time he divided the remaining portion, giving the townlands of
Ballydaw, Ballyhomac, Baulnnegologe, Fahee, Farnoge, Melville, Rahard,
Rossinan, Rathliken, Rathmasmolagh and Scart to the new Parish of
The modern Parish of Kilmacow is, therefore, formed from a union of four
old parishes, ie.
Dunkitt - part