_Noah AGARD _________ | _Eaton AGARD ________| | (1790 - 1863) m 1816| | |_____________________ | | |--Arabelle AGARD | | _Samuel MALLETTE ____+ | | (1747 - 1823) m 1785 |_Catherine MALLETTE _| (1788 - 1877) m 1816| |_Kate DEFOREST ______ m 1785
_PIETER BRASS _______+ | (.... - 1770) m 1753 _PETER C BROAS ______| | (1762 - 1859) m 1790| | |_PHEBE SMITH ________ | (.... - 1770) m 1753 | |--Isaac Van Wyck BROAS | (1808 - 1873) | _____________________ | | |_PHEBE RAYNER _______| (1766 - 1858) m 1790| |_____________________
_Edward HARKINS _____ | (1806 - 1892) m 1838 _Samuel HARKINS _____| | (1846 - 1930) m 1874| | |_Mary BOYD __________ | (1806 - 1902) m 1838 | |--Edward Clayton HARKINS | (1889 - ....) | _Thomas WILLIAMS ____ | | |_Jennie WILLIAMS ____| (1858 - 1911) m 1874| |_Phoebe Ann FRENCH __
__ | _Edward David LAFFERTY _| | (1871 - ....) m 1892 | | |__ | | |--Iva Mae LAFFERTY | (1892 - ....) | __ | | |_Minnie SHERRER ________| (1871 - ....) m 1892 | |__
 In 1915 was working as a bookkeeper & stenographer.
 Rev. Francis F. Rice officiated. Witnesses were L. L. Clawson and C.D. Clawson.
 Resided at Williamsville (Erie co., NY?) at the time of his marriage.
_EDWARD MEEKS _______+ | (1757 - ....) _DANIEL MEEKS ________| | (1801 - 1878) | | |_MARIAH _____________ | | |--Isaac MEEKS | (1823 - 1892) | _Isaac MILLER _______ | | |_Elsie \ Elsa MILLER _| (1804 - ....) | |_____________________
__ | _JAMES MULLAN ________| | (1825 - 1909) | | |__ | | |--James Michael MULLAN | (1861 - 1895) | __ | | |_CATHERINE (SLOANE?) _| (1827 - 1902) | |__
There was a George Ross who was an early settler of Scotch Settlementin West Gwillimbury, Simcoe co., Ontario, Canada. George would havebeen about the right age to be Donald's father. Awaiting more info tomake this connection.
1871 census shows a George ROSS in West Gwillimbury, age 76 (bornc1795) born in Scotland. There is a George ROSS buried in Auld Kirkcemetery (Old Presbyterian) in West Gwillimbury. These are probablyall the same George.
""THE SCOTCH SETTLEMENT""
From "The History of Simcoe County" by Andrew F. Hunter. Pub. 1909
"The first extensive location of white settlers in the Township ofWest Gwillimbury bears the name of the "Scotch Settlement," and duringthe first half century that elapsed after it took rise, it was aunique locality in the life of the district, its origin being no lessstriking.
In the year 1811, Lord Selkirk obtained from the Hudson Bay Company atract of land for settlement purposes, lying along the Red River; andin the autumn of 1812 Miles Macdonnell brought to it a colony about100 persons from the North of Scotland - many of them from Helmsdaleand its neighborhood - and erected houses. In June 1814, 50 more came,and in September, 1814, their number was about 200 settlers andlaborers.
The original settlers of the "Scotch Settlement" emigrated to the RedRiver with this colony of Lord Selkirk. While there, they experiencedgreat privations and suffering, having nothing to eat except buffalomeat, not even bread, or as the Highland women said: "No nothing butflesh." After remaining there for two or three years, a party of themdetermined to leave their place of exile, in 1816, and return to theless remote forests of Upper Canada.It is related that the officialsheard of their design, and "placed some ordnance to prevent them. Thedeserters managed, however, to get hold of the great guns, andprotected themselves as they left the settlement." The extantliterature of these Red River troubles is quite abundant. (Seestatement respecting the Earl of Selkirk's Settlement upon the RedRiver of North America; its destruction in 1815 and 1816; and themassacre of Governor Semple and his party. London, 1817; New York,1818).
For an account of the trials of the prisoners at York (Toronto), seeDr. Scadding's Toronto of Old, p. 299, etc.
After traversing the five hundred miles of rocky wilderness betweenFort Garry and Fort William, the fugitives reached the latter place.Here the North-West Company, in order to promote their removal fromthe country, fitted out a fleet of small boats to transport them downthe lakes. In this small fleet they arrived at the outlet ofNottawasaga River, which they ascended, as well as its tributary, theWillow Creek; then crossed the Nine-Mile Portage to the head ofKempenfeldt Bay. Passing across Lake Simcoe, they reached thesettlements on Yonge Street. About three years later they went up theHolland River as far as the third concession, landed, and made asettlement on the peninsular portion of West Gwillimbury lying betweenthe river and its north branch.
As far as can be ascertained, the fugitives consisted of the followingseventeen men, some of whom had wives and families: -
Sutherland (6) -- Donald, Haman, William, Robert, James and Angus.McKay (4) -- James, Roderick, Robert and Donald. John Matthewson.(There were two men of this name, called "Red" John and "Black" Johnfor the sake of distinction). McBeth (2) -- Andrew, Charles, Geo.Ross, Arthur Campbell and George Bannerman.
These, then, were the pioneers of the "Scotch Settlement" in WestGwillimbury, and, indeed, of Simcoe County. It is related that theydid not all arrive at the Holland River at the same time, but thatthey came in two parties; and that the second party, which came afterthe final destruction of the Red River colony, consisted of Robert andRoderick McKay, two McBeths, and one Sutherland - five men in all.These are said to have come by way of Parry Sound and Orillia in 1816.
Of the Sutherlands, many of their descendants reside in theneighborhood. Of the McKays, Robert and Roderick, for many years theformer was a resident of Innisfil, while the latter was a citizen ofBradford. "Red" John Matthewson was a prominent worker in matterspertaining to the Presbyterian church of the settlement. For manyyears he conducted the Sabbath school, and is described as an"excellent translator of sermons in the Gaelic tongue, at their Sabathday meetings." After residing there for a number of years, he removedto the Talbot settlement, in the western part of the Province, wherehe took up his permanent abode. Descendants of the McBeths arenumerous. A son of Andrew McBeth (John McBeth), removed, about 1864,to Nottawasaga, where he was a resident until his death on Dec. 4th,1889, at an advanced age. Members of his family, on various occasions,occupied seats at the Town Council Board of Stayner.
Wm. McBeth was drowned in the North Branch of the Holland River,August 2nd, 1830.
From the first, the success of the members of this Highland settlementwas rapid, notwithstanding the privations, common to all Canadianpioneers, which they experienced during the first years after theirarrival.
Owing to their poverty, many of them, both men and women, were obligedto work out in the frontier settlements on Yonge Street for the firstyears after their arrival. Except in the time of the heavy frosts ofwinter, the Holland River and the wide marshes on both sides of itwere almost impassable. One of the great hardships consisted in"backing" in supplies from Newmarket over the wide marsh to theirdwellings beyond it. Sometimes the river had to be waded with theirsupplies carried on their backs above the water. Such hardships asthese were all overcome, and the Highlanders and their descendantsproved to be a valuable acquisition to the population of the county.Other settlers of Highland Scotch nativity joined these in thetwenties, as Hector Grant and Alex McCausland."
The Old Settlers of Red River by George Bryce, LL.D. read in 1885
At this time (1811) there were sad times in the Highlands of Scotland.Cottars and crofters were being driven from their small holdings bythe Duchess of Sutherland and others, to make way for large sheepfarms. Strong men stood sullenly by, women wept and wrung their hands,and children clung to their distressed parents as they saw theircabins burnt before their eyes. The "Highland clearances" have left astain on the escutcheons of more than one nobleman. Lord Selkirk,whose estates were in the south of Scotland, and who had no specialconnection with the Celts, nevertheless took pity on the helplessHighland exiles. Ships were prepared, and the following are thenumbers of highland colonists sent out in the respective years:
In 1811, reaching Red River in 1812, there were 70
In 1812, reaching Red River in 1813, there were (a part Highland) 15or 20
In 1813, reaching Red River in 1814, there were 93
In 1815, reaching Red River the same year, there were 100
Total Selkirk Highland colonists about 270
The names of these settlers were those well known amongst us, asSutherland, McKay, McLeod, McPherson, Matheson, Macdonald,Livingstone, Polson, McBeath, Bannerman and Gunn. There are othernames found among those early comers which have disappeared, and towhich we shall afterwards refer. It will be noticed that at the end of1814 the colony amounted to 180 or 200 persons. These were underGovernor Miles Macdonell, late a captain of the Queen's Rangers, whowas also Hudson's Bay Company Governor. The connection of the Selkirkcolonists with the Hudson's Bay Company was regarded as a menace bythe the Northwest Company. The two companies had their rival postsside by side at many points throughout the Territories. The Nor'westerfort standing immediately at the junction of the Red and Assiniboinerivers was called Fort Gibraltar. The fort occupied by the colony wasat the foot of Common street in this city, and was called FortDouglas. It is of no consequence to our present object to determinewho opened hostilities or who was to blame in the contest of thecompanies. Strife prevailed, and through this the colonists suffered.In 1814 arrived on the scene a jauntily dressed officer of theNor'west Company brandishing a sword and signing himself captain-oneDuncan Cameron. This man was a clever, diplomatic, and ratherunscrupulous instrument of his company, and coming to command FortGibraltar, cultivated the colonists, spoke Gaelic to and entertainedthem with much hospitality, and ended by inducing about one hundredand fifty of the two hundred of them to desert Red River and go withhim to Upper Canada. Among those who went were not only personsbearing the names already mentioned, but others named McKinnon,Cooper-, Smith, McLean, McEachern and Campbell, who have left norepresentatives on Red River. By a long and wearisome journey to FortWilliam, and then in small boats along Lakes Superior and Huron, theyreached Penetanguishene and found new homes near Toronto, London andelsewhere.
The arrival of the third party of Highlanders in 1815 reinforced theremnant who had resisted Cameron's seductive proposals. The colonyagain rose to three-fourths its original strength. In 1816 theNor'Westers adopted more extreme measures still to destroy the colony.An attack was made upon the settlers on 19th June, and the newGovernor, Robert Semple, was killed, with a number of his attendants,at a spot a little off Main street north, beyond the city limits."
 Database gave her birthdate as 1840, when I received it, but it mustbe 1870, judging by husband's birthdate of 1870.
___________________________ | _William Stupps VINCENT _| | (1832 - 1917) m 1852 | | |___________________________ | | |--Bethel Ruddle VINCENT | (1853 - 1907) | _Bethel 'BJ' Judd DUNNING _+ | | (1805 - 1874) |_Juliet DUNNING _________| (1836 - 1904) m 1852 | |_Charity HULSE ____________ (1806 - 1878)