East Galesburg was originally named Randall and
traces its origin to Nov.
15, 1890 when C. B. Randall sold several lots to a
Mr. Sward and he came to
East Galeburg with Mr. Purington from Indiana.
On November 12, l892
residents in the area held an election and voted in
favour of incorporating the lots into one community.
The population was 450 at the time.
It rapidly increased. It
was known as
Randall until Dec. 6, 1893 when the residents voted
to change the name to
The village has vast deposits of shale which is used in brick-making
. In 1892 there were two brickyards and 2 more under
was a park, Highland Park where band concerts,
picnics, boating, skating and an outdoor Chautauqua
was held annually. In
1925 there was also a
coal mine. Out of the
Illinois prairie over 100
years ago East Galesburg emerged a small town made
vibrant by the growth of
railroads, brickyards, mining, and agriculture.
Then its sons and
daughters joined the exodus from rural America.
At one time the brick yards churned out 3000,000
bricks a day. East
Galesburg at one time was the prominent brick
producing industry in
several million bricks per year. The
closed in 1970.
You can still see the stacks, kilns etc. in the area among
grown up vegetation.
Purington Brick supplied bricks for the Panama Canal.
Also bricks paved many streets in the area.
They still have a few brick
brick yards today is owned by the owner of the Cinncinati Red
Baseball team, and it isn't well taken care of.
When the brickyards were prospering there was a
grist mill, grocery
store, meat market, pool hall, barber shop, gas
station, small hotels,
a doctors office. Now there
is only two taverns, a recreational
vehicle sales business, bait shop, used car sales,
and a post office. They
do have a
small commuity church, a volunteer fire department, and a city
The school is the focus of the community. There
800 in the community.
The school was built in 1967 after the old Highland
School was condemned.
This is a community unit school district, with us
being part of the Knoxville School District.
Knoxville is about 5 miles
Southeast of East Galesburg. That is where most of the students from Raymond Marquith
School go after they finish fifth
Knoxville dates back to 1830. It was the county seat in 1831,
Galesburg is now the county seat. E. Galesburg joins Galesburg.
has gas stations, restaurants, stores, library etc.
Galesburg is the home
of Knox College and Carl Sandburg Junior College.
Carl Sandburg was born
It is where the hospitals, large supermarkets, large
restaurants and the shopping mall is located.
information compiled by Mrs Sally Nelson
Sally Key Pals