Kilmacthomas Convent Primary School
Kilmacthomas - Coill mhic Thomáisín is situated just off the N25 about half-way between Dungarvan and Waterford city. It is built on the banks of the river Mahon and its name means "Wood of the fair McThomas". West of the village are the foothills of the Comeragh mountains, while five miles to the south is the 'Copper Coast' with the Blue Flag beach of Bonmahon.
celebrated Irish poets lived and composed in the area. Tadhg Gaelach Ó
Súilleabháin (1715-1795) is buried in Ballylaneen old cemetery, and Donncha
Rua Mac Conmara, who died in 1810 is buried in Newtown, just about 2 miles away.
Vince Power, the entrepreneur, who started the 'Mean Fiddler' chain of pubs is from the Newtown area. He is one of the people responsible for the modernisation of Tramore racecourse. He began the Reading music festival in England.
In December, 1649, Oliver Cromwell marched from Waterford to Kilmacthomas. The weather was wet and stormy and the river was in flood, so the army couldn't cross. Two nights were spent in the field that is now the public park.
In 1871, the railway first came to the village. Bridges were built to carry the railway over the street and the Mahon Valley. The 8-arched viaduct is a majestic feature of the park.
Flahavan's Mill is the only surviving one of the original 5 mills on the Mahon. Flahavan's have been milling Irish oats for 200 years, supplying breakfast porridge for generations.
At one time, Stephenson's Woollen Mills produced quality tweeds on its riverside premises, but that is long since closed down,
Penn Products, furniture factory is situated on the Fair
Green where the old cattle pens used to be. Once specialising in fitted
kitchens and bedrooms, the business is now chiefly producing office
There are four schools in Kilmacthomas. St Declan's Community College is the largest second level school in the county area. The Convent Primary and the Boys' N.S. cater for the younger children, while the pre-school boys and girls attend the Naíonra on the High Road.
The Convent of Mercy is a large 3-storey building beside
Our Lady of Mercy Church. The Mercy Education desk for the Southern
Province of Ireland is located there.
The Rainbow Hall is a wonderful asset to the village. Various activities are held there regularly; among them are Indoor Hurling, Basketball, Bingo, Flower Arranging, etc.
Nurse Sheehan and voluntary helpers run the Day Care Centre for Senior Citizens. The girls from 3rd-6th classes sing Christmas carols there each year before the annual Christmas dinner.
The village itself has some fine shops - supermarkets, drapery shops, 2 banks, a fire station, a Gárda station, tea rooms, café, a hardware store, pubs, butchers, hair salons and a pharmacy. There's a veterinary clinic in Main St., and a South Eastern Health Board Clinic on Well Road.