Green School ] [ Sport ] [
History ] [ Pupils work ] [
Links ] [ About us ] [
Extra Curricular ] [ Archive ]
Chronology of Portlaw
1.AD Birth of Christ
563. Otteran went with St Columba to Iona
570. St Ita
637. Death of St Carthage.
Roger first Baron
1169. Sir Robert le Poer joint Governor of Ireland
1185. St Johnís Bridge built.
1197. John eldest son of Roger.
1212. Erection of Rocketís Castle
1324. Sir Arnold defence of Dame Alice Kyteler who was prosecuted by Bishop de Ledrede of Kilkenny for being a witch
1327. Robert who was treasurer of Ireland
1345. Eustace hanged as a traitor and his estate confiscated
1483. Death of Richard Poer Lord of Curraghmore and Sheriff of the county
1535 Sept 13th. Sir Richard created Barron de le Power and
Coroghmore by Henry VIII.
1538. Richard was slain while on service for the crown by the "Traytor" Connogher Oí Callaghan
1545. Death of Piers Power 2nd Lord.
? John 3rd Lord
1607. Death of Sir Richard 4th Lord
? The Hon. John Power (oge) was killed by Edmund Firtzibbon, the White Knight.
1649 Aug 15. Cromwell`s campaign
1650 May 26 End of Cromwellís Campaign in Ireland.
1654- 56 Civil Survey
1661 Succession of Richard 6th Lord
1673 Richard , 6th Lord became Earl of Tyrone
1679 Oct Richard 6th Lord created Viscount of Decies and Earl of Tyrone. Being in the service of James the 2nd , he died a Oct 14th 1690.
1662 Subsidy roles
1690 Oct 14th Richard 6th Lord died a prisoner in the Tower of London
1690 Beheading of Tyrone in Tower of London.
1693 Death of John 7th Lord
1700 Current Curraghmore House built by James 8th Lord
1704 Death of James Poer 8th Lord and 3rd Earl of Tyrone
1717 Marriage of Lady Catherine Power + Sir Marcus Beresford
1735 Birth of George 1st Marquis
1741 Clonegam church built
1746 Sir Marcus created Earl of Tyrone
1750ís John Roberts, constructed the forecourt
1750 Construction of the shell house
1763 Death of Sir Marcus
1783 Death at the age of 13 of Marcus the eldest son of George the 1st Marquis
1785 Erection of the Tower to commemorate Marcus's death
1798 Aug. 19th George created Marquis in Aug
1800 Dec 2nd Death of George de la Poer Beresford 1st Marquis
1811 April 26th Birth of Henry 3rd Marquis
1814 April 27th Birth of John 4th Marquis
1825 April 12th Malcomson takes over flour mill in Portlaw that had previously been an Iron Foundry
1826 July 16th death of Henry de la Poer Beresford 2nd. Marquis
1826 Election of Villiar Stuart
1835 Jan 5th Dr James Martin appointed resident surgeon to Factory
1844 May 21st Birth of John Henry de la Poer Beresford 5th Marquis
1845 Presbyterian church built
1840's There was an agricultural society in Portlaw
1845 Nov. Waterford board of guardians were informed that Portlaw area was not badly affected by the famine
Quaker relief - Joseph Malcomson
1848 Malcomson's sold cotton to the workhouses
1848 Attack on Portlaw police barracks
1851 Feb. 7th Guilcagh church consecrated
1852 Sept. 6th Holy Trinity church consecrated
1855 July Mayfield female and Mayfield male schools started
1858 March 28th Foundation stone layed of St. Patrick's church
1859 Henry 3rd Marquis killed
1861 American civil war
1866 Nov. 6th. Death of John 4th. Marquis
1867 Battalion of Fenians was marching and drilling at Henebry's, Mount Bolton
1874 Last election when the Marquis of Waterford provided a candidate for the county was the parliamentary election of 1874. This was Lord Charles Beresford.
28th Henry de la Poer 6th Marquis
1882 Death of Rev. J McGrath P.P. who bequeathed his entire property towards the establishment of the foundation of the Mercy convent in Portlaw
1883 June 9th.
Arrival of five Mercy sisters from Cahir
1884 Aug. 6th. Birth of Nicholas Wall who was elected TD for Farmers Party, son of Ellen Power of Ballycahane and William Wall of Mount Bolton moved to Kilowen. Later elected for Fine Gael 1927, and died Dec. 3rd 1939
!896 July 4th
Marriage of Mary Hearne and William Organ in Portlaw Church.
1896 Alms Houses built
1903 Aug. 24th. Birth of Little Nellie of Holy God
1904 Last bobbin of Portlaw Spinning Co. ceased
1908 Feb. 2nd Death of Little Nellie
1909 April Woodlock Nursing home opened by Sisters of Cluny
1910 Building of convent school in Flemings field
1916 Death of
Rev. Michael Hickey at Coolfin
1932 Boys national School built on its present site
1935 Sept. 26th. Official opening of Tannery by SeŠn Lemass
1945 Construction of new Tannery factory 45,000 sq. ft.
1950's Milford House ( St. Philomena's ) destroyed by fire
1954 Dec. 8th. Blessing of the Grotto
1969 Closure of Vocational school
1984 Closure of Tannery
1991 Amalgamation of Boys National school and Convent girls school
1993 Opening of Michel Irl. Tannery