After Saint Charles death in 1893 his open coffin lay in the Church in Mount Argus for five days. Crowds thronged to file past the coffin. Fr. Wilfred explains that when the time came to close the coffin the remains of the Saint were still supple and no 'rigor mortis' had set in. During this time the 'Sign' below lay on his brest and some of the saint's hair was removed.
The relic was wrapped in a scrap of paper on which was written:
"Fr Charles hair. Died at Ovada Mt Argus Dublin 1893. Cause sent to Rome. A real saint. Knew him well"
days of the death of Bl. Charles, Fr. Wilfred 0' Hagan , on January 10th
1893, wrote to a friend, Ada Sheehy in London: